Following the installation of Windows 8.1, many of the little niggles I found annoying are fixed from a single settings menu, including;
- Boot to desktop
- Start menu has same background as desktop. Whilst it is a small change, it has a big impact. No longer am I instantly lost as the whole screen changes colour. It integrates much better (plus another place to have my cat background :D)
- Apps are shown instead of the tile. The tiles have their place on mobile devices, but I don’t have much use for them. Instead I show Apps, and sort “by most used”.
- Better multi-screen support.
This menu is accessed by;
- Right clicking an empty part of the task bar (the bar where the program short cuts are sitting).
- Left clicking the menu option “Properties”
- Left clicking the tag “Navigation”
There are many more changes (many little niggles), but this was one of the ones I appreciate the most.